Friday, November 5, 2010

Thankfulness Time Of Year?

Ahhhhh, it is November, finally we have cooler weather and everyone is thinking of Thanksgiving, can't you just smell the turkey, dressing, and fruit pies? Oh, and there is also the attitude of thankfulness that is magnified this month, hmmm.... seems to be a bit of a second thought most of the time.

For the past few days, I have seen 30 days of thankfulness posts on blogs and on Facebook and the first thing I thought was that I really need to start that thankfulness journal I have been wanting to start. Now, let me stand up and say I AM GUILTY OF NOT BEING AS THANKFUL FOR MY BLESSINGS AS I SHOULD BE.

Sometimes I think it is because of the busyness of life, sometimes just being complacent, but it also can be because of stinkin' thinkin'! I am learning that I have to be very careful with what I allow myself to think about! Oh dear! Our negative emotions have a huge impact on us and those around us. It changes our heart and the way we see the world.

Think about a gal you know who is as sweet as pie, gracious, cheerful, passionate about life, filled to the brim with wholesome goodness, kindness and creativity, now, think about a woman you know with a sour-milk attitude, always complaining, filled with bitterness and resentment toward others………. which one of those gals would you rather spend time chatting with over coffee and a yummy treat?

We can't be syrupy sweet all the time, there are such things as hormones and just plain 'ole bad days. That would be those “help me Jesus” days when we want to pull our hair out, or scream or do both. Yea, I am a homeschool mom, just sayin', it happens. Those are the times I have to take a deep breath, ask for God’s grace, sit down with a Dr. Pepper and try to gain my composure.

But then, after I whine just a little bit, I try to pull myself up by my boot straps, cancel the Pity-Party, ask the Lord for strength, and guess what, He gives me a sweet song in my heart! Yes ma’am, I become a thankful, toe-tappin', sweet, hymn-singin' gal (that is very off key)!

I want to raise thankful kids, not entitled, whiney woos. So, like I say often here, more is caught than taught! If we live a life (not just the month of November) with a spirit of thankfulness, think of the impact on our kids!

My Southern mantra is "Pretty is as pretty does" (remember that saying if you think it is alright to wear pajama's and house shoes to the Walmart) but it is also true to say pretty is as pretty thinks since everything we say or do starts with a thought.

If you read God’s promises, spend time praising Him and count your blessings everyday, your thankfulness and joy will start showing! Try it today!

Going to start a thankfulness journal,
The Park Wife

6 comments:

Mommy said...

Beautifully said! Encouragement for my days! <3 you much my dear friend.

mimis kitchen52 said...

Thank you for the reminder! I will also on my blog start a thankful journey! We have so much to be thankful for: jobs, children, grandchildren, health, a roof over our head and a Jesus who loves us as we are!!!!

Strawberry Cake said...

one of my favorite verses is 1Thes.5:18 "give thanks in every circumstance for this is Gods will for you......" I try to live that everyday. Being thankful for the good and the bad. Hugs to you sister : D

Angela said...

My little girl just did a thankfulness poster for school. Part of my face was covered by Taylor Swift, but at least I made the cut. : ) It would take me all day to count my blessings. So much to be thankful for.

rebecca said...

Words so true. Your blog is delightful.

Jenn Jantz said...

yep. being thankful:) thankyou for your post on my page.... yes i am sure you are more 'into it all' than me!! as I've only been at this 'immersion' for about 6 months now... thanks for the advise!! I'm slowly finding those people that make me smile:)