Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Fa La La La - BooHoo

I am back into my holiday focus full swing with the birthday party behind me. Let's talk mantle's. Well, Big Buckaroo decided that the mantle I decorated last week could be a fire hazard when he turned on the gas fireplace. I told him that after all the work I did that was a chance I was willing to take. But, the park ranger in him told me that only I could prevent forest fires. So, down came the cedar and berries as I thought ugly things about Smokey the Bear. Now, I really love holiday time - sitting in my living room at night with all the holiday lights on snuggled up by the fireplace, or with a down comforter around me if I would have been able to leave the cedar up there. My mother-in-law was in town for the buckaroos birthday party and I was telling her of my dilemma. She too thought that Smokey the Bear is over-rated. The morning of the birthday party I told her this was just not going to get it. I could not stand looking at my Charlie Brown Christmas tree (which chicken friend's little girl dubbed the "naked" tree) and nothing else decorated. Of course, there were things I had forgotten for the party and had asked my very talented at decorating mother-in-law if maybe she could grab some magnolia leaves and help out the very sparsely decorated room while I went to town to pick up a few things. So, I left for town and when I returned, mother-in-law had saved Christmas!


It is good to have a talented mother-in-law!
Now to the Boo Hoo part. My five year old little buckaroo has gone to spend the night with his mimi and grandpa 2 hours away. O.K. some of you are saying, "So?" Well, in his 5 years he has only been away from me 4 nights; one when I was in the hospital having his little brother, two nights when I was helping take care of my daddy when he was sick and one night when he and his daddy went camping. So, there was alot of crying as they were pulling out of the driveway. How am I going to handle him going off to college? Thank goodness I have a few years to prepare for that. Of course, when we talked to him last night he was having a great time and said he was going to stay 10 days. Yeah, right. I will be going to get him today or tomorrow, I miss that little fella. My world is just not right if my little buckaroos and big buckaroo aren't around.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a brave mamma...and your house looks amazing. Thank you mother-in-law. We love your tree too..and you! Praying for the boys and safe travels over the river and through the woods to grammy's house.

Anonymous said...

The Smokey The Bear lover in me is laughing like crazy. The new mantle looks wonderful too!

Anonymous said...

Why must practicality spoil our Martha Stewart visions of life? I guess Ol' Smokey the Bear has a point though. Thanks goodness for a MIL who can decorate to satisfy both Martha and Smokey.

dlyn said...

Thank God for mothers in law! Looks like you guys are all ready for Christmas!

JessicaB said...

I too have an awesome MIL. I just love her and she can make anything. Sometimes I think I would kill for a night without the kids but every great so often I have been home alone and the silence is frightening. I choose choas over quiet anyday.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Imagine them leaving for the military???? sigh :-(

Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

Nature Girl said...

Oh your mantle is so beautiful! I loved it before AND after. I'm a complete nature freak, and I too would have a bit of trouble with that rule. I want to prevent forest fires as much as the next guy, but geez...at the expense of my nature inspired Christmas decore'? I'm not so sure! LOL

I'm glad the little buckaroo is having a good time at his G-parents house.
Stacie

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl, I just wanted to let you know that I looked at your blog today. I really need to start one. Your cakes looked great!! I don't think that I could make a cake in the shape of a dinosaur. Can your mother-in-law come to my house to decorate. LOL :)

sharon brobst said...

The mantle looks great!

I just returned my grandson to his mama yesterday after having him for a few days! It's great having him here...and he has fun...but what a BIG hug he had for his mama when he saw her!

No it never gets easy....

Mama Tango said...

I wish I'd been able to meet my mil...I bet she would've been like that too.

Your home looks wonderul, Charlie Brown tree and all!

OKGardners said...

You are a marvelous Mom. Every child should feel so blessed to have a mother who loves him that much. You are right - the Empty Nest is not all that fun - but it will eventually happen and you WILL live through it. Even though it can be tough at times. I've turned all my Little Nesters loose and I am OK now. They are intended to grow up and leave the nest. That is what God planned for them.

Betty in Oklahoma

Dawn-Enigma Artist said...

the decorations are great both ways. That's so nice of your MIL to do that.

I have an empty nest. Some days it's great and some days it just down right sucks.

I figure to prepare us to be ready they become teenagers first.

dadto3grls said...

Tell Smokey to buy you some of this (http://www.noburn.com/products_tree.asp) for next year's decorating ...