Friday, April 4, 2008

Prepping for The Love Story ~ The College Years

The Fall after high school graduation I entered the University of Southern Mississippi. Of the "popular"group in high school, the majority went to Ole Miss, a few to Mississippi State and I, alone, went to Southern Miss. That first semester was full of adjustments as it would be for any Freshman that came right from their parents home. I spent that semester in the Phi Mu dorm with a very nice roommate and many nice girls. I had a lot of fun, maybe too much.

I had a wonderful English teacher/newspaper advisor in high school, Mrs. Hyche, that took me under her wing and made me think that I could be a reporter if that is what I put my mind to. She had more impact in my life than she will ever know. My first job was at local radio station during high school and I caught the reporter bug. I hosted the Dedication Hour, funny huh? Listening to teeny boppers dedicate the latest Chicago song to the "love of their life".

Once at USM, I majored in Broadcast Journalism. I was going to be the next local reporter, I knew I had to work my way up to CNN. However, the head of that department had the DULLEST classes, I would nod off and that was not like me to do. I might not have been a straight A student, but I was respectful and at least acted interested. Well, until this professor's class. I quickly changed my major to Journalism/Public Relations, there was no way I could handle 4 years of his lectures. I am sure that decision allowed Katie Couric to propel to the position she is in today.

When I returned from Christmas break my Freshman year, I moved out of the Phi Mu dorm and it was one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I moved into another dorm and the day I moved in I was sitting on my bed and there was a knock at the door. I answered it and a sweet girl named Gayla was standing there asking to move in since I did not have a roommate. One of her best friends from her hometown lived down the hall and she did not know anyone else at USM. I said yes and from that day forward she rarely saw her friend down the hall because we became inseparable. Although our lives are miles apart now, she is still a friend of mine.

That summer I was looking for a fun adventure, so one of my high school friends and I moved to Destin, FL where I waited tables at The Back Porch Restaurant. It was fun and the skin damage I have today is from that summer of too much fun in the sun!

I returned to USM for my Sophomore year and Gayla and I moved up in the dorm world into one with suites. This is when we started hanging out with Olga, my friend from New Orleans, remember the one that forgot to build the ark before Katrina hit. She would come over and visit in the afternoons and too many times we would say, hey, let's go to New Orleans for the night (it was about an hour and 15 minutes away). We would all look at each other, throw down our books and get dressed. As a direct result of those New Orleans trips, I failed Statistics. Plus the fact that as a journalism major, I did words, not numbers. It also did not help that I could not understand my professor because English was not his native tongue.

I had to make at least a C in every class for my funding to continue. So, the Spring semester I moved home, got a job at the local hospital's health club and started classes at the community college. It was during this time that I met my first love, my first real, long-term boyfriend, Ray. He was a Marine Corp pilot at the Navy base and I just adored him. I returned to USM the next spring and continued my degree work. Gayla had left and went to Mississippi State, she just could not bear to be without me at USM, just kidding. Actually, God had it planned for her to meet her downstairs neighbor, a high school friend of mine (weird coincidence, huh), and marry him. They have 2 beautiful daughters now.

Olga and I became roommates and I continued to date Ray. I got a job at another hospital based wellness center (gym) in my college town where I worked the rest of my college years. Ray sent me flowers every week at college. It got to the point after he was stationed in North Carolina that he just sent Olga money and she was to buy the flowers for me. She did for a while, then she just gave me the money so I could put it on my school phone card to call him in North Carolina. He then was moved to Yuma, AZ and it was make or break time.

I had met some people who played soccer and started going out and kicking the ball around with them that first semester back at USM. I had never played soccer before but was pretty athletic and took to it. O.K., I became a little obsessed with it.

So, when Ray wanted me to move to Arizona and sent me a college packet that was from the University of Arizona Yuma, the Desert Campus, I freaked a little, O.K. a lot. Did they have grass out there? (yeah, yeah, I know now) Could I play soccer on sand? Was I ready to make such a big leap?

I loved Ray deeply, we were incredible together, but I was young, very immature. I decided against it (MARRIAGE OPPORTUNITY #1), but we decided to still date long distance but date other people also and life went on. I continued working and going to school and then kicked in my soccer boyfriend. We dated on and off for the rest of my college years, it was real serious and then off, real serious, then off. I don't even have words to describe us. (POTENTIAL MARRIAGE OPPORTUNITY #2 SIDELINED)

I moved out of the dorm and into an apartment with a girl named Karen that played on the USM soccer team with me. Four and a half years after my first semester away from home, I graduated. Yes, it took four and a half years because there was one more soccer season I could play. So, I did an internship, worked at the wellness center and played soccer my last semester.

During this time I met EJ playing soccer. He had graduated college years before and had an actual job as an auditor for a bank. We dated a while and then were engaged even though we really did not want to get married. I just thought it was what I was supposed to do because I had graduated college and was dating a nice, stable guy. We had not made any actual plans to marry, I just had the ring.

Then, Ray......

Until tomorrow,
The Park Wife

Read Chapter 3 - After College


OKGardners said...

Oh, no ..... we have to WAIT?? I can hardly wait until your TRUE LOVE enters your life in this story.

NOTE: We ALL make a lot of mistakes by kissing the wrong frogs. (They don't turn into princes, do they?)

Until then ..... I'll be waiting for the next installment.

We have a 60th Anniversary party for a cousin in another city today, so we'll be traveling. Back by tonight, however.

Betty in Oklahoma

Auntie Martha said...

Loved it... waiting on next installment!!
Ala. Grandmother

Valarie said...

Ok you better not make us wait as long as that other girl does.

#2 said...

I found you through blogher, and have been reading a while, but had to comment - my husband went to USM, class of '93. This world gets smaller and smaller every day!

Enjoy your blog, and can't wait for the rest of the story!

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear the before of a love story. I'm waiting to hear the rest. My love story started 21 years ago. My hubby sent me flowers last week to remember the day he first asked me out on a day - Aaawwwww :) This coming weekend we will have 17 years under our belts. It's not all roses, some thorns as he says, but it's worth it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story. Take care,
Elizabeth S in mid-Michigan

Jill said...

wooohoo! there. i am commenting so stop complaining. i haven't read any blogs since thursday because my life has been crazy busy. but now i am reading this. and i like it mucho! thanks!
jill in mn

cdees39 said...

I love stories like this-- please keep it up.

Jan said...

Nice story-a love story when Big Buckeroo gets in the picture.
I sent you an email several days ago concerning the name of your park. Did you get it? Maybe you would rather not answer the question and that is okay too.